How to Write Narrative Essay: Prompts and Inspiration for Kids
A romp with his best friend, a Bernese Mountain Dog, inspires Dennis to write a narrative essay. Recently, Mom asked Dennis to put a leash on Clark Kent so they could take the dog to the veterinarian for shots. Clark gave them all a merry chase! There’s lots of action to love here—and great verbs for Dennis’s narrative essay.
Teachers say that narrative essays are often the hardest essay they teach. This book makes it simple, fun and effective. To encourage detailed essays, the text and images highlight the sensory details of the story told. Color-coded words add visual, auditory, kinesthetic, gustatory (taste), and smells to the essay. Prewriting for the narrative becomes simple by following this amazing prewriting model. The mentor text essay included will help your students have fun with their own narratives.
Darcy Pattison Explains Classroom Use
If you can’t see this video, click here.
Join the Mims House newsletter to get free My Crazy Dog – Narrative Essay printable worksheets.
To buy the powerpoint version of this book, click here.
For a video on teaching Opinion Essays, click here.
PRAISE FOR THE SERIES
“. . .fill(s) a niche for teachers. . .” – School Library Journal 5/1/15
• s“. . .breezy and engaging introduction to genre writing.”
• “The model essay can be used across multiple genres (informational and narrative nonfiction in addition to opinion).”
• “. . .useful for teachers showing early elementary students the relevancy, power, and importance of effective writing.” –Booklist 6/17/15
The Read and Write Series
- I WANT A DOG: My Opinion Essay, Book 1
- I WANT A CAT: My Opinion Essay, Book 2
- MY CRAZY DOG: My Narrative Essay, Book 3
- MY DIRTY DOG: My Informative Essay, Book 4 (2017)