On this Saturday, small businesses band together to make a splash! Mims House, as a publisher and online bookstore, is participating for the first time this year.
Read & Write Series – 20% off
PRAISE FOR THE SERIES
- “. . .breezy and engaging introduction to genre writing.”
- “The model essay can be used across multiple genres (informational and narrative nonfiction in addition to opinion).”
- “. . .useful for teachers showing early elementary students the relevancy, power, and importance of effective writing.” –Booklist 6/17/15
- VERDICT: A good choice to help the visual learners write narrative essays. School Library Journal, November, 2015
- “. . .fill(s) a niche for teachers. . .” – School Library Journal 5/1/15
When cousins Dennis and Mellie decide to get pets, they must make hard decisions about the best cat or dog for their families. They use nine criteria to help decide among the breeds. Books 1 and 2 of THE READ AND WRITE SERIES documents the struggle in opinion essays that act as mentor texts for students writing their own opinion essays.
But the fun doesn’t stop there. In Book 3, Dennis must take his dog to the vet—if he can catch him. The adventure of getting a pet, owning a pet and caring for a pet is the backdrop for a series of fun writing lessons focused on opinion, narrative and informative essays. While the series models the entire writing process, it fills an instructional gap by concentrating on prewriting or planning before writing. In the end, though, it’s the cousins and their pets that will keep readers turning the pages.
Book 4 picks up the story when Dennis and Mellie go to Grandma’s birthday party and have to write informative essays. There’s a how-to essay mentor text for first graders and a longer informative essay for the older grades.